Dr. Shauna Hallmark is a professor in the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering at Iowa State University and has over 20 years of experience in traffic safety research. She serves/has served as principal investigator (PI) on more than 90 projects for clients like the Strategic Highway Research Program, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, Iowa Department of Agriculture, and various state departments of transportation (DOTs) (most notably Iowa and Minnesota). Projects have ranged in size from $8,000 to $760,000, with an average project length of 12 to 24 months, but several have spanned 3 to 5 years.
Dr. Hallmark serves as the director of InTrans, which has over $17M in annual research expenditures and includes 30 participating faculty, 49 professional and engineering staff, and over 100 graduate students. As Director, she manages a master agreement with the Iowa DOT and another with the Minnesota DOT. This entails ensuring contracts are completed on-time and within budget, managing concerns between researchers and the DOT, assisting in setting direction and research priorities, and identifying opportunities for collaboration.
- PhD, Civil Engineering (Transportation), Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 1999
- MS, Civil Engineering (Transportation), Utah State University, Logan, UT, 1996
- BS, Civil Engineering (Transportation), Brigham Young University, Ogden, UT, 1991
- Professor, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2012–present
- Director, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2014–present
- Assistant/Associate Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2000–2012
- Hallmark, S., N. Hawkins, and S. Knickerbocker. 2021. Evaluation of Transverse Markings as a Speed Transition Zone Countermeasures in Small, Rural Communities. Journal of Transportation Technologies, Vol. 11, pp. 61–77.
- Hawkins, N., S. Hallmark, S. Knickerbocker, and T. Litteral. 2021. COVID-19 Impacts on Speed and Safety in Minnesota. Minnesota Department of Transportation, St. Paul, MN.
- Hawkins, N., and S. Hallmark. 2020. Noteworthy Speed Management Practices, FHWA-SA-20-047. Office of Safety, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC.
- Hallmark, S., D. Veneziano, and T. Litteral. 2019. Preparing Local Agencies for the Future of Connected and Autonomous Vehicles, MN/RC 2019-18. Minnesota Department of Transportation, St. Paul, MN.
- Hallmark, S. L., Y. Qui, N. Hawkins, and O. Smadi. 2015. Development of Crash Modification Factors for Dynamic Speed Feedback Signs on Rural Curves. Journal of Transportation Technologies.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, And Service
- Former Chair, Transportation Safety Council, Institute of Transportation Engineers
- Member, TRB Committee on Standing Committee on Performance Effects of Geometric Design (AHB65)
- Executive Committee, Council for University Transportation Centers