Dr. Halil Ceylan is a Pitt-Des Moines, Inc. endowed professor in the Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering Department at Iowa State University and the director of the Program for Sustainable Pavement Engineering and Research (PROSPER) at the Institute for Transportation. He also serves as the ISU site director for the Federal Aviation Association (FAA) Center of Excellence (COE) for Partnership to Enhance General Aviation Safety, Accessibility and Sustainability (PEGASAS).
He has over 20 years of experience in pavement/granular road field investigation and forensic testing, field instrumentation and monitoring, pavement/granular road performance evaluation and modeling, mechanistic-based pavement/granular road analysis and design concepts, pavement/granular road preservation and rehabilitation, non-destructive testing and health monitoring of transportation infrastructure systems, economic analysis of transportation infrastructure assets, and engineering application of intelligent data mining and computational intelligence techniques.
He has been involved with over 125 research projects (more than $19.6M of external funding/more than $22.7M of project funds, including matching funds) in which he has served as the PI and/or Co-PI; these projects, related to transportation infrastructure systems, have been sponsored by the Federal Aviation Association, Federal Highway Administration, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, National Science Foundation, Second Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP2), Portland Cement Association, various state departments of transportation (DOTs) and research boards, including the Iowa DOT and Iowa Highway Research Board, among others.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1995
- MS, Civil Engineering, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey, 1993
- BS, Civil Engineering, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey, 1989
- Professor, Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Iowa State University, 2015–present
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Iowa State University, 2010–2015
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Iowa State University, 2002– 2010
- ISU Site Director, FAA Center of Excellence (COE) for Partnership to Enhance General Aviation Safety, Accessibility and Sustainability (PEGASAS), 2015–present
- Director of Program for Sustainable Pavement Engineering and Research (PROSPER), Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2013–present
- Pavement Research Engineer, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2002–present
- Faculty Affiliate, Center for Nondestructive Evaluation (CNDE), Iowa State University, 2005–present
- Pavement Research Engineer, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), National Airport Pavement Test Facility (NAPTF), 1999
Representative five publications in past five years (total: over 250 publications)
- Kaya, O., N. Citir, N., H. Ceylan, S. Kim, and D. Waid, D. 2022. Development of Pavement Performance and Remaining Service Life Prediction Tools for Iowa Jointed Plain Concrete Pavement Systems. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B: Pavements, Vol. 149, No. 1.
- Koh, Y., H. Ceylan, S. Kim, and I. H. Cho. 2021. Critical Responses of Flexible Pavements Under Superheavy Loads and Data-Driven Surrogate Model. The International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology.
- Yang, B., Y. Zhang, H. Ceylan, and S. Kim. 2020. Evaluation of Bio-Based Fog Seal for Low-Volume Road Preservation. The International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology, Vol. 13, pp. 303–312.
- Omar, H. A., N. I. M. Yusoff, M. Mubaraki, and H. Ceylan. 2020. Effects of Moisture Damage on Asphalt Mixtures. Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering.
- Kaya, O., H. Ceylan, S. Kim, D. Waid, and B. Moore. 2020. Statistics and Artificial Intelligence Based Pavement Performance and Remaining Service Life Prediction Models for Iowa Flexible and Composite Pavement Systems. Presented at the 99th TRB Annual Meeting, NRC, Washington, DC, January 12–16, 2019, and Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2674, No. 10, pp. 448–460.
Professional Affiliations, Accomplishments, and Service
- More than 40 news media/T.V. coverages (including NBC’s Today Show and NBC’s Nightly News with Lester Holt, Discovery Channel’s Daily Planet Show, The Weather Channel Live, Engineering News Record (ENR) and so on) featuring Dr. Ceylan’s research
- Developed new civil engineering courses at ISU: CE483/CE583 Pavement Analysis and Design and CE581 Geotechnical and Materials Engineering Seminar
- Developed new pavement structure assessment program using FWD deflection data for Iowa DOT
- Providing professional service as member of 30 national and international committees and organizations, nine international journals of editorial board member,19 track organizer/chair, presided 49 sessions, 23 other professional activities